DEFINITION AND CLASSIFICATION PRINCIPLES
GENERAL PROVISIONS, THEORY AND METHODS
TRADITIONAL GAMES RETURN INTO HOLIDAYS
Pieter Bruegel, Children's Games
Lusorica is the game heritage of humanity (Lat. Lusorica, from the root of the word ludus/lusus – ‘game’ and the collective suffix).
Lusorica is the name we gave to the Game Encyclopedia, which is being published on the pages of "Ethnosport" – our online journal.
In any civilization, at all stages of its development, games occupy a unique cultural niche, permeating all spheres of life. Moreover, a keen interest in games is typical for the behavior of the majority of living creatures, and the higher they are on the "ladder of evolution", the more diverse their games are. For example, Homo sapiens ludens added the plot to their games. Humanity does not only practice games, but also made it an integral part of many cultural activities, in which distinguishing the game from the actuality is almost impossible. Paul Valéry wrote, C'est mouvantes, irrésolues, encore à la merci d'un moment, que les opérations de l'esprit vont pouvoir nous servir, avant qu'on les ait appelées divertissement ou loi, théorème ou chose d'art, et qu'elles se soient éloignées, en s'achevant, de leur ressemblance.
Games penetrate everywhere, revealing to us the nature of:
- Almost all rituals - from pagan festivals to matriculation ceremonies and inauguration of presidents
- Philosophical debates and dialogues, which gave life to many sciences and demonstrated the mind game that attracts minded people no less than the search for truth, and thus helps to find it
- Legal culture, which is characterized by adversarial parties and the art of re-enactment of events
- Economic activity, beginning with the conversion of trade into a feast of wit and ending by the economic theory of games, which exerts a significant influence on the choice of models of economic development
- Mathematics, which endowed the world with the geniuses who penetrated the secrets of the universe in a playful manner, because music of the spheres revealed itself to them. It then pre-determined the formation of the mathematical theory of games, born in problems and equations
- All kinds of art, whose strength lies in the ability to play on the feelings of the person
- And, of course, all kinds of sports, which grow from the traditional games of different nations
Cultural space of game practices is studied as game culture or ludoculture. The peculiarity of ludoculture is the fact that it fits into the cultural context of any event, in which game practice is introduced.
Commitment to the game, reaching the state of an all-consuming addiction, is called ludomania. The latter is quite broadly interpreted. In the cultural dimension, ludomania is a subculture and is characterized by a game process, put by its players at the forefront of any activity. The fact of gaining pleasure by the players is commonly referred to as pathological addiction, but this approach does not withstand even a moment’s scrutiny. From the standpoint of psychiatry and psychology, it is impossible to establish the game norm in the process of remission (deliverance, healing from a "gambling addiction"). It is due to the impossibility of separating the influence of different game processes: it is difficult to understand whether, for instance, working a crossword puzzle (a game of words), or the process of market trade (a game of lowering the cost) are also an abscess of a patient. From the perspective of clinical medicine there is no documented proof that the body produces specific hormones (endomorphins) in the course of the game process, which is observed in other kinds of proven unhealthy addictions - alcohol and drug abuse.
Written by: A.V.Kylasov, V.N. Rastorguev, P.V. Nesterov
Lusorica is the game heritage of humanity (Lat. Lusorica, from the root of the word ludus/lusus – ‘game’ and the collective suffix). Lusorica is the name we gave to the Game Encyclopedia, which is being published on the pages of "Ethnosport" – our online journal.
Traditional games are kinds of primordial play during the traditional holidays or the national calendar holidays, which are now held as ethno-cultural festivals and competitions.
Ethnosport is a form of preservation of the game heritage; it is a system of recovery of the ethnomotricité skills, inherent in the traditional way of life and lost in the conditions of urbanization.